How do I apply for one of the homes you manage?You can begin the process by visiting our Available Rentals page. Choose the home that best suits you, and then easily apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button.
How do you handle maintenance requests?
Most issues are handled within 3 days. Repairs requiring faster service will be expedited.
- Submit request on the tenant portal
- Email email@example.com
- Call 24/7 202-756-4010
How long will it take before I know if my application is approved?
- If an application is complete it should take 24 hours to process.
- All applications are processed daily during the work week.
- Applications tuned in over the weekend will be processed on the next business day.
- Updates and requests for more information are given throughout the process.
- You can call 202-539-6482 to get an update on your application.
How much is the security deposit?The security deposit amount is based on the jurisdiction where the property is located. For example, in D.C. the security deposit is equal to one month’s rent and in Virginia you can be charged up to two months rent.
How fast will I get my deposit back after I move out?
- We want to get security deposits returned as quickly as possible.
- DC law is very specific on when and how deposits need to be returned.
- The law states 45 days but if there is nothing being withheld from the deposit we try to send it out with in one week.
- To help ensure prompt delivery of the deposit:
- Make sure you alert us to any potential damage as soon as possible. Often, we can make the repairs prior to you moving out so there would not be a delay.
- Leave the property in clean and orderly.
What is your pet policy?
- The pet policy is up to the owner of the property, but we do encourage owners to allow pets.
- Pet requirements are posted on each listing.
- We use petscreening.com to screen the pets in the properties we manage.
- To complete the screening process, pet owners will need to submit a payment of $40 for each pet being screened. The payment should be made directly to the website petscreening.com.
Can I pay online?
- We provide every tenant with a tenant portal where you can pay your lease payments online with credit/debit card or an e-check from your checking or savings account.
- Other payment options
- Mail or drop off payment to our office.
How is the best way to communicate? When can I expect a response?
- We want to make it as easy and convenient as possible for you to get in touch with us. That's why we've set up the Tenant Portal, designed to provide you with an efficient and reliable way of interacting with us. Other ways to contact us are to call us 202.756.4000 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- During business hours our phones are picked up by a live person. If you don’t get through we will attempt to call you back.
- We attempt to respond to every communication within one hour but no later than 24 hours.
- If you have not received a response you can call Customer service to have your issue escalated to Management.
- For Emergencies, Call or Text 202-747-5453
Can I be charged for maintenance at the property?
- Yes, if you, your guest, or pets damage the property.
- If there is a maintenance problem, that was not caused by you, your guest, or pets then you most likely will not be charged. Please report any maintenance request on your Tenant Portal or call 202.756.4010.
- If you notice preexisting damage when you move in be sure to report it with photo/video evidence on your Tenant Portal so you don’t get charged.
Can I stop paying rent until a repair is made
No, if you feel that the issue has not been resolved in a timely manner, please reach out to customer service 202.756.4000 so that they can escalate your issue for further investigation. Our team will look into the matter and provide a response to you as soon as possible.
If you continue to feel unsatisfied with the outcome, please contact the DCRA. The DCRA has established processes for handling rent escrow that must be followed to ensure that your rights are protected. We understand the importance of finding a resolution to this issue and will make every effort to do so in a timely manner.
What if I have a problem that I can't seem to get resolved?Please call Customer Service at 202-756-4000 and ask to escalate your issue to the management team. We will try to respond right away but not more than 24 hours. We have a process to make sure all complaints are tracked, followed up on and have a clear path to resolution.
Do I need to get renters insurance?
- Personal and Liability Renters insurance is included in the Resident benefit package
- It is in your best interest to get renters insurance that will not only give you the liability coverage but usually will also cover your personal property and displacement coverage if needed.
- If you do not provide EJF with a current policy then EJF will buy a policy for you. Please note that the liability policy EJF purchases on your behalf is only to cover the owner’s property.
What if I need to get out of my lease?We understand that DC is a transitional city and circumstances change all the time. While you will still be held liable for the lease we will do everything we can to help get the owners approval and secure a new tenant. Soon as a new tenant is secured we would be able to let you out of your lease. More detail is in your tenant handbook and will be provided to you at the time you give notice.
What moving company should I work with?We recommend choosing JK Moving Services. Over the years, we've consistently recommended them, and we're pleased to share that tenants who have utilized their services have provided positive feedback.